self.move_to(Canada)

During the last few weeks I wanted to talk about several things in this blog, some related to coding tecniques, some more personal, but I didn’t have much time to do so. With the exception of this project and some collaborative work on a Ruby book, I didn’t even have much time to code or be at the computer at all.

Nevertheless it has been a very exciting period, stressful but rich in hopes and challenges. In fact I’ve been so busy because on Friday I am finally moving to Canada, in the Toronto Area, where I will work for a great IT company. This is very exciting. The only weak note is that I had to get rid of my wide collection of IT books. The few ones that I’ll be able to ship/bring with me are shown in the photo.

Anyways I look forward to living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, working for one of the most respected companies – where I’m sure I’ll be able to learn a lot (I’ve so much to learn!!) from some of the best minds out there. I know that there are lots of Ruby/Rails related activites and events in the GTA area, and I’m really looking forward to meeting other Rubyists and “Railists”, maybe sipping a good coffee at the Linux Caffe.

Code is waiting to be written and doughnuts to be eaten :)

No related posts.

8 Responses to “self.move_to(Canada)”

1. gabriele says:

buona traversata :)

Also it is very cool you’ve been playing with an Interval Arithmetic library, I was thinking of doing the same for fun after I read an article about it recently, now I’m looking forward to your code

2. Dan says:

What, do they limit the number of books you’re allowed to bring to Canada?

3. Lorenzo says:

Buon viaggio man e in bocca al lupo!

4. Talha Syed (www.talhah.com) says:

Welcome to ‘Tronna’!

5. Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate your comments. Dan, there is no limit on the number of books. The real problem is the luggage weight :)

6. Amr Malik says:

Welcome to Toronto! I’ve been meaning to go to one of them TRUG meetings myself.. hopefully one of these days and hopefully a RoR group will form in the big T.O. soon…

When I moved to Canada, I brought about 20 boxes of books (not all IT of course), but it was a big truck I’d rented and I figured what the heck, though I ended up giving away most of those within a year lol!

7. Dan says:

I don’t know if this applies to mail destined to Canada, but at least within the US, you can ship books very cheaply by using the USPS Media Rate. When I moved from SC to Puerto Rico, I shipped two large boxes full of books for about $20 each. Considering that’s less than the cost of a single book, it was well worth the money.

Of course, there’s a good chance that you can’t ship Media Rate to Canada, but it might have been worth investigating. If you hadn’t already gotten rid of your books, that is :)

8. Dan says:

Oh, and I’m a different Dan than the one who left that first question, even though I was replying to the same conversation thread :)

Copyright © 2005-2012 Antonio Cangiano. All rights reserved.