Install DB2 on Mac OS X and give us feedback

A little over a week ago IBM released a new version of the DB2 beta for Mac OS X Leopard, following up on valuable feedback that we’d received in response to earlier versions. This version is important because it resolves a reported issue that was occurring when building drivers for languages like Ruby and PHP. Hence, I highly encourage you to download the latest DB2 for Mac now and save yourself the hassle of this issue.

The installation procedure is fairly straightforward, but I’ll spare you from having to read the “Installing and setting up DB2 for Mac OS X” PDF by providing some easy steps here.

Install DB2 on Mac

Step 1: Increase your system’s parameters by creating or editing /etc/sysctl.conf. Add the following parameters, save the file, and reboot your machine.

kern.sysv.shmmax=1073741824
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=4096
kern.sysv.shmseg=32
kern.sysv.shmall=1179648
kern.maxfilesperproc=65536
kern.maxfiles=65536

Step 2: Download and extract DB2 Express-C for Mac OS X. To extract the file you can run tar -xvzf db2exc_952beta_MAC_x86_64.tar.gz from a terminal. cd into the extracted folder by running cd exp.

Step 3: Run sudo ./db2setup and follow the wizard that appears. (Note that this step assumes that you have Java 1.6 installed.)

If you’d like specific instructions on installing Ruby and Rails, take a look at my previous post about this subject.

Give us your feedback

Try out DB2 on your Mac, experiment with it, and let us know what you think. Tell us what are your impressions, what you like, what you dislike, and what you’d want to see in future releases. Write me at cangiano{{AT}}ca.ibm.com, and I’ll be happy to hear from you. If this release is particularly important to you and you’re able to speak on behalf of your company, do feel free write as well, we are definitely looking for testimonials – and such letters could prove to be free exposure for your company as well. If you use DB2 on Mac in an interesting way, let us know about it. We truly value your opinions and are looking forward to hearing about how DB2 on Mac affects you.

62 Responses to “Install DB2 on Mac OS X and give us feedback”

1. dr_te_z says:

This is the first time I’m NOT happy with my thinkpad……

2. Bingimar says:

the download link on their website is broken.

3. Bingimar, their link is working for me. Could you elaborate?

4. Peter says:

Anthony, I am getting the following error on my macbook pro while attempting to install. Is there a FAQ on installing on Mac yet?

exp/db2/macos/install/../bin/db2usrinf: Bad CPU type in executable

Thanks
    Peter

5. Peter says:

I meant to type Antonio ….. :)

6. Hi Peter,

Do you have a 64bit CPU?

7. Peter says:

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz CPU which I believe is 64-bit.

8. That is strange, Peter. May I suggest that you post your question in this forum, outlining the type of installation you are doing (script or GUI) and attaching your log file (/tmp/db2setup.log)?

9. Chris says:

I have been able to successfully install the client on may Mac via command line and compile the ruby gem. Sweet!

When trying to connect to a System i, I receive the following error:

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: [IBM][CLI Driver][AS] SQL0805N Package “NULLID .SYSSH200″ was not found. SQLSTATE=51002 SQLCODE=-805: SET SCHEMA rails

Anything you can point me to?

Thanks.

10. Chris, you will need DB2 Connect (a commercial product) to connect from a regular PC to System i. Unfortunately, DB2 Connect is not available for Mac OS X. I may have a workaround though, stay tuned.

11. Bingimar says:

did you find a workaround?

12. Actually Bingimar, it’s not even a workaround. It looks like there is a proper way to connect to System i from Mac. I’ll provide more details later today.

13. Hi Antonio,

This is awesome news… but is there a reason it’s only 64 bit?

Most Macs that developers work on day-to-day are NOT 64 bit, Xserves and Mac Pros being the exception. (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html .) Most developers work on laptops, because we value flexibility, which requires portability, and unfortunately they don’t have Xeon processors yet.

Since we most often deploy to Linux, this isn’t likely to get as much attention and use as I think it deserves. Any chance of releasing a 32-bit version?

The rationale is that to gain wide acceptance, it has to be easy for developers to futz around with it first and discover its strengths, learn to work around its pitfalls (of which it hopefully has none), and just generally get used to it. No one is likely to use in production what they haven’t been able to get comfortable with first in development, and who would blame them? So making this work only on production hardware is a severe barrier to adoption.

14. Bingimar says:

I’m waiting on the edge of my seat. :)

15. Long story short, through the so-called Thin Client we are already able to connect from a Mac to System i or z\OS. However, what we are missing is a valid DB2 Connect Mac license. What we are trying to do is generating and releasing a license that is free of charge for Mac developers. This will be a development only license, but it will allow developers to connect from a Mac to System i and z\OS at absolutely no cost whatsoever. Stay tuned, I will announce it in my blog when it’s ready.

16. Bingimar says:

fantastic

17. Steven Hansen says:

+1 with regards to Brandon Zylstra’s comment.

I use my mac laptop for all my development.

Thanks for all your work!
    -Steven

18. ryan says:

Brandon, actually, all macs available are now 64 bit, not just the xeons.

19. John Weis says:

Hey, i’m trying to install it on my macbook…

the exit instructions say to run something like “db2fs”, but that isn’t on my path…

i’ve tried to follow the instructions to the best of my abilities, but how do you confirm it has been installed? what is after step 3?

20. @John: Are you able to run the command ‘db2’? Did you install as root or with your user?

21. John Weis says:

i installed it with my user (not root) – however, i’m not able to run ‘db2′ – should I be editing my path / bash profile ?

22. John, please try to run the following:

$ . ~/sqllib/db2profile
    $ db2

If it works, you can add the first of the two lines to your bash profile.

23. John Weis says:

Antonio you are amazing! it works! thanks a million.

Is IBM interested on getting feedback from early adopters?

24. I’m glad to hear that, John. :)

We are definitely looking forward to receiving feedback from our users. If you wish, you can send it to me (cangiano at ca dot ibm dot com).

Thanks!

25. […] blog post I reference within the video can be found here. Yes, that’s an Italian accent. I hope you don’t mind it. Social […]

26. Clemens Benden says:

Installed this (lately switched to leopard mostly to be able to install DB2).

Installation runs very smooth (using db2_install).
    For bringing up the first instance it would be a great help to add the necessary dscl commands to create users (instance owner and fenced) and groups you well need before db2icrt.

For example something like this (instance owner):

dseditgroup -o create -i 601 -r “Database Admins” dba
    dscl . -create /Users/instown
    dscl . -create /Users/instown UserShell /bin/bash
    dscl . -create /Users/instown UniqueID 503
    dscl . -create /Users/instown RealName “Instance Owner”
    dscl . -create /Users/instown PrimaryGroupID 601
    dscl . -create /Users/instown NFSHomeDirectory /Users/instown
    mkdir /Users/instown
    passwd instown

27. Clemens Benden says:

(with add I mean a small hint in the installation guide)

28. One gotcha is that DB2 does not seem to like the OS X “short name” of the instance owner to have any upper case letters. I am probably one of the few who had any caps there, but I had to change it before I could install properly.

Just getting going, but DB2 on the Mac looks like a real boon for me in ditching my old Dell laptop.

29. Shawn says:

Does 9.5.2 work on Snow Leopard?

30. Tom P ALSTON says:

I keep getting DBI1189E when trying to install. It says “This DB2 install image is not valid for the current platform.” But I am runing Mac OS X 10.6.1

Model Name: iMac
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
    Serial Number (system): YM8336EVZE4
    Hardware UUID: 4B47D2A4-A195-5AA8-9DAF-337809DB4C78

31. John Milne says:

Hi There
    Keen to try DB2 on the Mac, but unfortunately I am running Mac OS X 10.6.1 and the installer quite evidently cant hack it, keeps coming up saying it is the wrong CPU type but it is an Intel Core 2 duo in a Macbook Pro 17inch.

Tried command line and gui, noe work

It is the latest 9.7 version downloaded today the 17th September 2009

32. @Tom, @John, there isn’t a 9.7 version for Mac yet. Have you tried the 9.5.2 version for Leopard? I run Mac OS X 10.6.1 too, and the installer works for me.

33. Henri says:

Have some trouble since 10.6.1 on my Macbook Pro after hibernate/resume.

First of all, thanks a lot for the Macos version, this made my life much more easy. I have developed a Adobe Flex/Tomcat/DB2 Application a couple of month ago on my Mac and ported the stuff to z/OS without issues. Have since 10.6.1 problems, to suspend/resume my Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz, Unibody). I attach the db2diag.log messages. DB2 simply hang at the “connect to”. I will attend the IDUG in Rome in two weeks, maybe there is a chance to talk about…..

Thanks a lot in advance

MESSAGE : ZRC=0xFFFFFFFF=-1

2009-09-23-22.45.57.653978+120 I58640441E387 LEVEL: Event
    PID : 626 TID : 4429380608 PROC : db2ckpw
    INSTANCE: db2 NODE : 000
    EDUID : 1 EDUNAME: db2sysc
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, trace services, pdInvokeCalloutScript, probe:10
    START : Invoking /Users/db2/sqllib/bin/db2cos_trap from oper system services sqloEDUCodeTrapHandler

2009-09-23-22.46.03.660434+120 I58640829E348 LEVEL: Event
    PID : 626 TID : 4429380608 PROC : db2ckpw
    INSTANCE: db2 NODE : 000
    EDUID : 1 EDUNAME: db2sysc
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, trace services, pdInvokeCalloutScript, probe:20
    STOP : Completed invoking /Users/db2/sqllib/bin/db2cos_trap

2009-09-23-22.46.03.660738+120 E58641178E1395 LEVEL: Critical
    PID : 626 TID : 4429380608 PROC : db2ckpw
    INSTANCE: db2 NODE : 000
    EDUID : 1 EDUNAME: db2sysc
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, oper system services, sqloEDUCodeTrapHandler, probe:10
    MESSAGE : ADM14001C An unexpected and critical error has occurred: “Trap”. The instance may have been shutdown as a result. “Automatic” FODC (First
    Occurrence Data Capture) has been invoked and diagnostic information
    has been recorded in directory “/Users/db2/sqllib/db2dump/”. Please
    look in this directory for detailed evidence about what happened and
    contact IBM support if necessary to diagnose the problem.
    DATA #1 : Signal Number Recieved, 4 bytes
    DATA #2 : Siginfo, 104 bytes
    0x0000000108FF8B98 : 0600 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 7202 0000 …………r…
    0x0000000108FF8BA8 : F601 0000 0600 0000 F64F 2B82 FF7F 0000 ………O+…..
    0x0000000108FF8BB8 : 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 …………….
    0x0000000108FF8BC8 : B88C FF08 0100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 …………….
    0x0000000108FF8BD8 : 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 …………….
    0x0000000108FF8BE8 : 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 …………….
    0x0000000108FF8BF8 : 0000 0000 0000 0000 ……..

2009-09-23-22.47.27.544998+120 E58642574E879 LEVEL: Error
    PID : 623 TID : 4429710336 PROC : db2sysc
    INSTANCE: db2 NODE : 000 DB : SA
    APPHDL : 0-54 APPID: *LOCAL.db2.090923204728
    AUTHID : DB2
    EDUID : 31 EDUNAME: db2agent (SA)
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, license manager, sqllcConnectUser, probe:2
    MESSAGE : ADM12008C The product “DB2 Express Edition” does not have a valid
    license key installed and the evaluation period has expired.
    Functions specific to this product are not enabled. If you have
    licensed this product, please ensure the license key is properly
    installed. You can install the license via using License Center or
    db2licm command line utility. The license file can be obtained from
    your licensed product CD.

34. I am having trouble getting any browser to play nicely with db2fs. When I try with Firefox 3.5.3, Mac OS throws up a “firefox-bin quit unexpectedly” dialog and db2fs pops up a “DBI1435E” dialog (says it can’t find supported browser).
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

After looking more deeply into the problem, I found a workaround here:

The quick fix listed there (collateral damage to Firefox unknown) is to:

You can also temporarily delete (or re-name) the /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/libsqlite3.dylib file, until an official fix is released. However, this may have unintended side effects, so I would only do it on a machine where you are willing to accept some risk of Firefox crashes. I didn’t see any personally, but no guarantees ;-).

This did allow db2fs to function for me.

35. In trying to follow the db2fs instructions to create the SAMPLE database, I am getting the following error(s):

=================================
    [MWW-Mac-Pro:~] mww% db2sampl -force -verbose

Creating database “SAMPLE”…
    Connecting to database “SAMPLE”…
    Creating tables and data in schema “MWW”…

–ERROR——————

SQLSTATE = 38503
    Native Error Code = -1131

[IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/DARWIN] SQL1131N DARI (Stored Procedure) process has been terminated abnormally. SQLSTATE=38503

————————-
    Creating tables with XML columns and XML data in schema “MWW”…

–ERROR——————

SQLSTATE = 38503
    Native Error Code = -1131

————————-

‘db2sampl’ processing complete.

===================================

The resulting SAMPLE database can be connected to, but it looks to me like it is not complete. Any idea what the underlying problem might be? Any pointers would be appreciated.

This happens on Snow Leopard (10.6.1) on both a Mac Pro and a unibody MacBook Pro 17″.

36. Hi Michael,

you need to start DB2 as root. Try the following:

$ sudo -s
    # . /Users/db2inst1/sqllib/db2profile
    # db2start
    # exit
    $ su – db2inst1
    # db2sampl -force

37. Scott Allan says:

I am able to install DB2 and the SAMPLE db following your video. I can see the data using the command line. However, when I try to access the db from a client such as eclipse or SQLWorkbenchJ, I get an error, SQLCODE=-30082…etc ROOT CAPABILITY REQUIRED

so I tried to start DB2 as root and got this:

$ sudo -s
    Password:
    bash-3.2# /Users/scott/sqllib/db2profile
    bash-3.2# db2start
    SQL1092N “ROOT” does not have the authority to perform the requested command.

I am using Snow Leopard. In Directory Utility, I set Enable Root User.

Also what is the default userid and password I should be using to test it and how would I change that? I’m trying jdbc:db2://localhost:50001/SAMPLE userid=db2inst1, password=ibmdb. I need this to connect to the db from a client or application.

Even installing as root user, I cannot seem to be able to connect from a client.

Thanks for your help and that very useful video.

38. Scott Allan says:

sorry I had a typo. password = ibmdb2

39. Scott Allan says:

OK I figured it out from this blog: http://blog.springenwerk.com/2009/01/ibm-db2-on-mac-with-ruby-rails-and.html

I needed to install as root but skip the step creating the DB2 instance. Then I later created the instance using /opt/IBM/db2/instance/db2icrt

sudo ./db2icrt -p 50001 -u scott scott

I did get this error the first time:
    ———————————-
    DB2 has failed to modify the .profile file or the .login file of this user. These files may not exist, or you may not have write permission to them. Without the modification you need to set your environment manually each time when you log in as this user to use DB2.

User response:

Add the following line to the .profile file or the .login file:

. /Users/scott/sqllib/db2profile to the .profile file, or
    source /Users/scott/sqllib/db2cshrc to the .login file
    ——————————–
    I couldn’t find a .profile file on my machine and couldn’t really figure out where it belonged after searching the internet so I just created one in $HOME and it seemed to work. I deleted sqllib and reran db2icrt again. After that I ran db2sampl to create the SAMPLE database. Then I was able to connect using jdbc:db2://localhost:50001/SAMPLE the userid was my user account name “scott” and the password was the OS password on my Mac.

I hope this helps out others that may have this problem.

40. Timo Ruohomäki says:

Hi Antonio,

The client-side support is more important for us than the server side where it doesn’t matter that it supports only 64 bit processors. Anyway, while waiting for DB2 Client for OSX the best alternative seems to be Openlink Software’s UDA drivers. Do you know if they are missing any vital parts on the functionality when compared to DB2 Client?

41. Scott Allan says:

Just in case someone else is interested, I set up a new user account “db2admin” on the mac and installed the DB2 instance there under sudo ./db2icrt -p 50001 -u db2admin db2admin. Although I could connect to a database under another administrator user account, I was unable to run certain commands such as “db2start”. I didn’t want to have to be logged on to both accounts every time I used the database. There didn’t seem to be a way to create groups on the Mac so I tried this and it worked: db2 update dbm cfg using sysadm_group Admin. Now all administrator accounts have access to db2 commands. I did have to move the “. /Users/db2admin/sqllib/db2profile” from .profile to .bash_profile in the non-DB2 account to get the terminal to find the path.

42. Wheeler Chu says:

Hi Antonio, I did as you told Michael:

$ sudo -s
    # . /Users/db2inst1/sqllib/db2profile
    # db2start
    # exit
    $ su – db2inst1
    # db2sampl -force

but got those messages exactly the same as not with root, though the sample database seems to work well..

43. danny says:

Hi, actually for installation part it runs smoothly, but when I try to run db2start it says error with library not loaded. Here is the error “dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/lib32/libdb2dascmn.dylib
    Referenced from: /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/lib64/libdb2e.dylib
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/lib32/libdb2dascmn.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture”

I got Macbook Pro with snow leopard installed.

Thanks

44. Alexey says:

Hi, I have the same problem as danny. Does anyone know the solution to the problem?
    Have the same hardware and software as danny.

Thanks in advance.

45. […] Install DB2 on Mac OS X and give us feedback by Antonio Cangiano […]

46. Balazs says:

Danny and Alexey: you may be experiencing the 32bit/64bit mixture “feature” of Snow Leopard. Apparently 10.6 still boots with 32bit kernel by default. The first thing to do is checking to see if your Mac has a 64-bit-capable EFI. If the output of the following command is EFI64, you’re in business. If not, you can’t run 64bit apps.

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | awk -F'”‘ ‘/firmware-abi/{print $4}’

I have put together a page with some pointers I fund useful to get DB2 running on OS X. Some of the items are similar to recommendations above. Hope it helps:

47. Vasco Jorge says:

Good afternoon, Antonio Cangiano,

I recently installed Mac OS X Lion, follow your instructions, and i keep receive the same errors:

DB2 Setup log file started at: Fri Sep 2 18:38:21 2011 WEST
    ============================================================

Operating system information: Darwin Darwin Kernel Version 11.1.0: Tue Jul 26 16:07:11 PDT 2011; root:
    Product to install: IBM DB2 Express Edition
    Base application development tools
    First Steps
    DB2 Instance Setup wizard
    Sample database source
    DB2 data source support

Languages:
    English (already installed )

Target directory: /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5

Home directory: /Users/db2vmfnj

Contact specification:
    New contacts:
    Name: db2vmfnj
    Instance: db2vmfnj
    E-mail address: db2vmfnj@VMJMacBookProi7.local
    E-mail address is for a pager: No

Response file name: /var/root/db2exp.rsp

The DB2 installer could not find the IBM Tivoli System Automation for Multiplatforms Base Component (SA MP Base Component) on the DB2 install media. The SA MP Base Component should be located at db2//tsamp sub directory under the top directory of the DB2 install media. If you want to use the SA MP Base Component with the DB2 HA feature, see the SA MP Base Compoenent Installation and Configuration Guide for information about how to manually install the SA MP Base Component.

Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/BASE_CLIENT_R_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/DB2_PRODUCT_MESSAGES_EN_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/BASE_CLIENT_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/JAVA_RUNTIME_SUPPORT_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/DB2_JAVA_HELP_EN_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/JAVA_SUPPORT_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/SQL_PROCEDURES_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/BASE_DB2_ENGINE_R_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/ICU_SUP_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/JAVA_COMMON_FILES_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/BASE_DB2_ENGINE_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/COMMUNICATION_SUPPORT_TCPIP_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/APPLICATION_DEVELOPMENT_TOOLS_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/FIRST_STEPS_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/INSTANCE_SETUP_SUPPORT_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/EXPRESS_PRODUCT_SIGNATURE_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/DB2_SAMPLE_DATABASE_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Command to be run: “(cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5; /usr/bin/tar xzvf /Users/vmfnjorge/DownloadDirector/exp/db2/macos/FILES/DB2_DATA_SOURCE_SUPPORT_9.5.0.2_macos_i386.tar.gz)”.
    Installing DB2 file sets :…….Success
    Setting DB2 library path :…….Success

Executing control tasks :…….Success
    Updating global registry :…….Success
    Starting DB2 Fault Monitor :…….Success
    Updating the db2ls link :…….Success
    ERROR: The value “DB2SYSTEM=VMJMacBookProi7.local” could not be added to the
    Global Profile Registry. Return value is “133”.

Setting default global profile registry variables :…….Failure
    Initializing instance list :…….Success
    Command to be run: “cd /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/;/opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/instance/db2icrt -a server -s wse -u db2vmfnj -p db2c_db2vmfnj db2vmfnj”.
    ERROR: An error occurred while creating the instance “db2vmfnj”. The return
    code is “67”. Create the instance manually using the command “db2icrt”.

ERROR: DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
    script is missing from the system; it may have been
    deleted or the database products may have been loaded
    incorrectly.

User Response: Verify that the product option containing
    the message file is installed correctly. If there are
    verification errors; reinstall the product option.

ERROR: dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/rchase/build/rchase_db2_v95fp2_darwinport_darwin64_s081205_S1/INST/lib/libdb2locale.dylib
    Referenced from: /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/bin/db2langdir
    Reason: image not found
    Referenced from: /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5/bin/db2langdir
    Reason: image not found

ERROR: An error occurred while configuring the instance “db2vmfnj”.

Configuring DB2 instances :…….Failure
    Updating global profile registry :…….Success
    Configuring health alert notifications :…….Success
    WARNING: A minor error occurred while installing “IBM DB2 Express Edition ” on
    this computer. Some features may not function correctly.

Post Install Recommendations
    —————————–

Required steps:
    In order to start using DB2 you need to logon using a valid user ID such as the DB2 instance owner’s ID “db2vmfnj”.

You can connect to the DB2 instance “db2vmfnj” using the port number “50001”. Record it for future reference.

And keeping receiving means that i create a mac os user to be used with DB2, altered the db2setup to mention the OSM as a x86_64, but nothing works. What can i do to correctly install the software?

48. bala says:

The above instructions worked very well. But it failed to created instance with message “Reason Image not Found”

49. Stefan says:

What happens after install is:

Colibri:exp ssc$ . $HOME/sqllib/db2profile
    Colibri:exp ssc$
    Colibri:exp ssc$ db2fs
    sh: /Users/ssc/sqllib/java/jdk64/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory DB2JAVIT : RC = 127
    Colibri:exp ssc$ db2start
    SQL1220N The database manager shared memory set cannot be allocated.
    Colibri:exp ssc$

50. Stefan says:

Hi, db2 is up and running … :-)

Now I tried to install DBD::DB2 for perl DBI (DBI already installed).

As I have to sudo cpan, db2_home etc is not defined.

Did s.o. get DBD::DB2 running on Mac OS X ?

regards Stefan

51. Daniel says:

Hi Antonio,

Great blog.

I seem to be running into Stefan’s problem above (your reply 23 Mar 10:13). My OS is OS X 10.6. I have run (per your suggestion):

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH /Library/Java/Home

but I get this error when running db2fs:

sh: /Library/Java/Home/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory DB2JAVIT : RC = 127

The problem is that my Java is located in /Library/Java/Home/jre/bin/java (i.e. I don’t have the ‘jre’ bit).

How could I correct that?

Thanks,

Daniel.

52. Daniel says:

Sorry.. typo..

my Java is located in /Library/Java/Home/bin/java

Daniel.

53. Roberto says:

Hi Daniel

I have the same problem on OSX 10.6.8

I fixed it creating a symlink to the OSX Java home and now db2fs works.

ln -s /Library/Java/Home ~/sqllib/java/jdk64/jre

Regards

Roberto

54. Brian says:

Thank you for the video on installing DB2 on Mac. I could not get it to work until watching your video. Now that it seems to be working the next step is to connect to a database on a different server. I have read about configuration manager but cannot find that on my mac…

May I use the DB2 Client for Mac to connect to DB2 databases on other servers? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

55. frabber says:

Is there any work done on porting datastudio to mac os x? I am still running this off a linux vm..

56. boris_yurkevich says:

Mtn Lion it worked but DB2 don’t feel good on Java 1.7.

57. Hugo Munoz says:

I’m trying to install db2 on my Mac, I run “./db2setup” and displays the following message:
    “sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
    DBI1058E gunzip command not found
    explanation:
    The gunzip utility must be available on your system to install or update db2 product
    User response:
    Ensure the gunzip utility is installed in the PATH environment variable. Reenter the command ”

How can I fix this, appreciate your help.