IBM’s crazy DB2 videos. What do you think?

IBM is clearly synonymous with the term “Enterprise”, but I can testify that working here means interacting with many cool, down to earth people who are passionate about their profession. They are not the “corporate drones” that you’d expect. I sometimes think that there is a divide between the image of IBM and the reality of a company that’s mostly comprised of young people having fun while working hard.

Reading comments on sites like Slashdot or Reddit I see that IBM is often unfairly treated, despite being a champion of Open Source, with contributions in excess of those of Google and Amazon combined.

So I’m glad to see that IBM is not “taking itself too seriously” with a series of ads, campaigns and initiatives that portray a less rigid image. The silly “servers taking over” ads are examples of this.

More recently IBM has put out a few “unusual” videos about DB2 Express-C:

So I’d like to ask you to share your opinions about them. Are they “cool” and funny, or are they goofy and just trying too hard?

6 Responses to “IBM’s crazy DB2 videos. What do you think?”

1. Nuno Job says:

I was laughting hard at the wannabe-greendragon dinassaur :P But once again i’ a really silly person and like silly humour. Reminded me of The Office

2. Mike Breen says:

Really funny.

“This guy, he just want to blow crap up” – this is going to be my new sig.

3. Clarence Odbody says:

So apparently installing DB2 causes you to lose your marbles, or at least have them scattered about. ;-)

4. Jeff Self says:

I’ll like them a lot more when there is a version of DB2 for my Mac! :-)

I’ve only seen the Pitch Meeting videos and I thought they were kind of lame.

5. lingrlongr says:

damn, i lost my $hit at work when the dinosaur came out from the chairs!!

6. Fabricio says:

I simply don’t trust IBM since OS/2 death to end-user market – well, because I was a end-user of it.
    With today’s machine, a well polished OS/2 would beat performance of most Linux distros.
    What a waste………….